This morning my husband surprised me with a low-carb high-fat Valentine’s Day treat! Out of the blue, he asked me if I wanted a hot dog for breakfast. We don’t usually have hot dogs for breakfast, but I was intrigued and I said yes.
Then he presented me with the most beautiful heart-shaped hotdog surprise, with a fried egg in the middle. It was such a sweet gesture, and I can’t believe how lucky I am to be married to this wonderful man. He even left the yolk soft and runny, just the way I like it.
(For the record, he did tell me that the wieners were kind of stiff coming out of the refrigerator, and that the secret to making this dish work is to massage them before you form them into the shape of a heart. And I’ll just leave that one there for you to ponder.)
Valentine’s Day Hot Dog Surprise Hearts
2 hot dogs
1 Tbsp oil or butter for frying
salt, pepper, and your favorite seasonings
- Massage the hot dogs in your hands until they are warm and malleable
- Slice the hot dogs in half almost all the way, leaving one end attached
- Bend the sides away from the center, so the tip is inverted at the bottom
- Use a toothpick to attach the open ends at the bottom, forming an open heart
- Place in a frying pan with the heated oil or butter
- Crack an egg in the middle of each heart
- Season and cook until the egg is done the way you like it. Flip if you like them over easy.
- Present it to your sweetheart and prepare for a kiss!